Our hearts are heavy as we process the news that police officer Darren Wilson will not face criminal charges for killing Michael Brown earlier this year. The failure of the justice system in this case is emblematic of systemic discrimination, inequalities, and violence that too many communities of color face around the nation, while perpetrators are too often granted impunity. PELA stands in solidarity with the family of Michael Brown, the community in Ferguson, and those organizing all around the country to call for justice and accountability for police brutality. Here are some simple ways you can do your part to assert that our justice and governance systems recognize that Black Lives Matter:
- Sign the Color of Change petition asking President Obama and US Attorney General Holder to secure justice for Mike Brown.
- Join a solidarity action near you at fergusonaction.com.
- Join the national text network of Ferguson Action by texting “HANDSUP” to 90975 to get mass alerts about actions.
- Use the hash tag #shutitdown in social media attached to your action.
- Donate to support local organizing efforts in Ferguson at handsupunited.org.